Davis, Pickren, Seydel & Sneed is pleased to announce its client, Kerzner International Bahamas Limited, the owner and Read Full Article
David R. Hughes
David R. Hughes is a partner in the firm of Davis, Pickren, Seydel & Sneed, LLP’s litigation group. He practices in the area of general civil litigation, focusing on employment litigation, business litigation, and catastrophic personal injury cases. He also litigates and tries cases throughout the eastern United States involving the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA).
He has practiced in the Atlanta area since being admitted to the Georgia bar in 1990. He received his undergraduate degree (B.A.) and law degree (J.D.) from Emory University, and a Master of Divinity degree (M. Div.) from Harvard University.
In law school, David was National Champion and Regional Champion for the 1990 National Moot Court Competition. He was named to the Order of the Barristers and is the recipient of the American College of Trial Lawyers’ Medal for Excellence in Advocacy.
In addition to his law practice, he has taught trial advocacy courses at Emory Law School, and is also active in civic and professional affairs. He has served on the boards of a number of nonprofit organizations in the Atlanta area and graduated from Leadership DeKalb (Class of 1998). He is a member of the DeKalb Bar Association, having served on the board of directors, executive committee and as chair of the litigation section of that organization. He is also a member of the Atlanta Bar Association, and the Lawyers Club of Atlanta.
David lives in Decatur with his wife, Casie, and their three children.
- Counsel for national company in business and commercial litigation ranging from claims in the tens of thousands dollars to hundreds of thousands of dollars litigated in state and federal courts throughout the Eastern United States.
- Successfully litigated to conclusion, through trials, mediations and settlements, dozens of cases involving railroad injuries, resulting in awards for his clients totaling millions of dollars.
- Successfully defended corporate director and obtained dismissal in a federal trial on securities fraud claims involving multi-millions of dollars.
- Represented employees in confidential settlement agreements with two large Southeast institutions for claims of invasion of privacy for unauthorized use of their electronically stored records.
Papers & Presentations
- Book Review of The Articulate Advocate: New Techniques of Persuasion for Trial Lawyers, in Georgia Bar Journal, Vol. 15, No. 1, p. 82, August 2009.
- How Not to Shoot your Eye Out: Pretrial Pleading Basics, presented to GTLA 2008 Holiday Workshop, Atlanta, Georgia, 2008.
- Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act, presented to Georgia Local Government Personnel Association Conference, Lake Lanier, Georgia, 2007.
- Investigating Alleged Employee Misconduct, presented to Georgia Local Government Personnel Association Conference, St. Simons Island, Georgia, 2007.
- U.S. Department of Transportation Drug and Alcohol Regulations, presented to Georgia Local Government Personnel Association Conference, St. Simons Island, Georgia, 2007.